Note: I wrote this post for Valentine’s Day and – surprise! – was too busy enjoying our sushi take away and watching Bachelor Winter Games that I forgot to post it. And then continued to forget about it for the rest of the month.. But it’s fine, because I love all of these people year round! So, still relevant. Just ignore all the Valentine’s Day references.
Valentine’s Day is about so much more than a romantic date night or the fact that you do or do not have a significant other. First of all, it’s a totally unnecessary holiday and I don’t buy into it at all. Seriously, I’m not huge on Valentine’s Day and am equally as happy to go on date night on February 13th or October 21st (those are random dates, by the way). I’m also equally as happy to go on a girl’s night out as I am to go to the most romantic restaurant in London. Because Valentine’s Day is about celebrating love, not being in love.
So, in honor of Valentine’s Day 2018, I want to share 18 things I love about the people in my life. ALL the people in my life. Now, I must admit, these are really random things. Like really random. But I think they highlight just how lucky I am to be surrounded by incredible, supportive, and loving people.
Things I Love About My Husband
- He is honestly the most supportive person in the world. In everything I do, from exercise to blogging to my career. Even when I shout out the dumbest idea in the world, he’ll respond with encouragement or an idea for how I can make it happen.
- He clears out our shower drain, even though the only thing blocking it is my hair (gross!)
- In the mornings, he spends more time saying goodbye to Giorgio than he does saying goodbye to me. I act like I’m annoyed by that, but I absolutely love his love for Giorgio.
- He always carries our really heavy backpack which holds all of our travel essentials – camera, tripod, chargers, battery pack, laptop, etc.- without complaining. Even when I don’t touch any of that stuff the entire day…and then complain that we didn’t get any photos.
- There is always extra room in his suitcase so I can put things in it when I overpack mine. Which happens on pretty much every trip.
- His love for America is unreal. Seriously, this man must have been American in another life, because he loves American sports, chicken wings, and the American flag. And me, I guess. I’m American!
Things I Love About My Family
First of all, I’d like to apologize to my mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, in-laws, really everyone for not including them in these photos. But my nephew, Finn, deserves all the attention in the world! I also had to display the photos in a different way because they’re all portrait #bloggerproblems
- My brother and sister-in-law created the most perfect human on the planet (that’s Finn! See above!). And I love that I’ll get to see him grow up!
- My family is probably as physically spread out now as we’ve ever been before, but I feel closer to each family member than I’ve ever felt before.
- They let me have two weddings. And came to both of them. And I think they’d do everything in their power to attend a third one, too, if I were that extravagant (I’m definitely that extravagant – plus, we haven’t had an American wedding yet!!! Details TBC)
- They read my blogs. Both of them. And like all of my Facebook posts. They’re like 90% of my audience!
- I got so lucky in the in-laws department. Sean’s family – parents, siblings, extended family included – have been so welcoming and are so fun to be around. They’ve even adopted my American sports teams so we can all be miserable together (or really happy, like when the Eagles won the Super Bowl!).
Things I Love About My Friends
- Not only have my college friends traveled to London for my wedding (and to visit me randomly) but they’ve also done things like go to Boston or Washington, DC for a weekend just because I’m in town. I love that they’ll come to me wherever I am when I can’t necessarily come to them
- No matter how much time I spend away from them, it’s as if no time has passed at all when we see each other again
- They make me so stinkin’ proud! Seriously, I am friends with some seriously accomplished women.
- Wine. They drink wine with me. And lots of it. What’s not to love about that?
Things I Love About Giorgio
Note: I am well aware that Giorgio is not a person. But for the sake of this blog post, he is. Because he deserves some appreciation on Valentine’s Day, too! And, realistically, if I were to buy anyone a Valentine’s gift, it would be him.
- The fact that he sleeps on my head. He’s kind of obsessed with me and I’m okay with that
- His love for pubs. Seriously, we only ever go to pubs because he wants to go!
- Have you seen his face? I love his face. And how soft and cuddly he is. Basically I love everything about my dog.
It’s safe to say that I am extremely fortunate to be surrounded by the people I am surrounded by everyday. Now…if only someone would actually move to London in order to live near me! Friends, you have eleven months to make that happen in order to get a shoutout on ’19 things I love about the people in my life’ next year 😉